Monday, November 15, 2010

Intern Alumni Updates - '05

Jessica Rios-Almanza, our first BSA President from ’05 made a special appearance at this fall’s Red Block Bash, where she awarded the biggest raffle prize to a lucky student. She writes, After graduating from U of H's School of Art this spring, I've opted to decompress in the comfort of the restaurant industry. Working at Lola in the Heights has been a great way to get back in touch with the Houston Heights locals. I am freelancing now and developing my professional portfolio. I also write for the AIGA blog, creating content of interest to the design community. Though online social networking, I keep current with the going-on's in Houston as I aim to further integrate the art community with the design world. I enjoy doing my part to strengthen the creative network in our city. I use my blog as a creative outlet, as I have learned that the beauty of the virtual world is a fascinating new tool with which to communicate. My long term goals are to publish a book that features Houston Street Art and to create a compilation of my illustrated journals over the years.”

Having since completed a master’s degree in Architecture at Penn State University, Gina De Leon, ’05 writes, “I'm currently participating in a year long public service through a national LISC/AmeriCorps partnership program called GO (Great Opportunities) Neighborhoods. I am serving the Near-Northside Houston area community organizing and working with various stakeholders - all at the grassroots level.

No comments: